Monday, September 6, 2010

The Importance of a Home Cooked Meal

Fired cheese, salami,
and Mangu (mashed plantains) 
Let me start by saying that I am a “mama’s boy.” Being here at Quinnipiac University makes me not only think about how much I miss her, but also how amazing her cooking is. Being at Quinnipiac, the only meal I looked forward to was a bacon cheeseburger and a snickers ice cream bar. She’d call everyday wondering how things were and ask what I was eating. I’d smirk and say, “guess.” She was worried for me, but don’t get me wrong I tried cooking in commons (as a freshman), and I tried going to Spanish restaurants sophomore year. That’s when I realized there is nothing better than Mami’s rice and beans or platanos (plantains) and salami.
I can remember waking up early Sunday mornings, the smell of fried salami and cheese throughout the apartment, watching bits of oil burst out the pan as a new slices of salami or cheese were being replaced. I’d wait at the table salivating for the first bite of plantains. My father would soon sit by me as my mother shouted for my brother to come to the table for breakfast. It never seemed to get old. Every Sunday was mashed plantains (mangu) with cheese and salami, and till this day it never ceases to amaze me of how I haven’t gotten tired of the exact same meal every Sunday.
"La Bandera"

Unlike Sunday’s breakfast, Dinner was always a pleasant surprise followed by a special treat. Mami would turn on the kitchen television, switched it to her favorite soap opera, and was off to making magic on the stove. Before mami could call for us, we were already gathering around the table in anticipation. The result was Dominican Republic’s traditional dish named “la bandera” which included rice, beans, plantains, salad, and meat. Once we devoured dinner, we were ready for dessert, flan (custard).
Well after dessert was done, we talked and shared how each of our days went. This sometimes led to enlightening advice or heated debates, but bonding nonetheless.  The home cooked meals led to the bonding, which instilled strong family values and lessons to carry on as life progresses.     

No comments:

Post a Comment